Friday, November 9, 2012

My Testimony: In the Name of the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost

When all the people were being baptized, Jesus was baptized too.  And as he was praying, heaven was opened and the Holy Spirit descended on him in bodily form like a dove.  And a voice came from heaven: "You are my Son, whom I love; with you I am well pleased." 

Luke 3:21-22


I have been baptized twice in my life.  We used to have revivals at a hotel ballroom and would follow the service with baptisms in the indoor pool.  

I don't remember much about my baptism, other than my nerves being on edge.  

I'm a die hard nose-holder and was worried about other people being in control of dunking me and getting me up in time or interfering with my nose-holding and my lungs flooding with chlorinated water.

I understood that baptism was the "next step."  That it was an outward expression of the inward changes.

You go down a sinner, dead in your flesh.
You rise out of the water, alive and resurrected.
As a child, it was something I did.

Recently I was baptized again [Like 10 days ago].  I have joined a new ministry and have experience some amazing growth and freedoms that I wanted to do it again.  I wanted to do an outward expression of the inward changes.

BUT this time I wanted to be baptized with expectation.

My request: God, please change my name!  You turned Abram to Abraham.  You changed Jacob to Israel.  You changed Saul to Paul.

I wanted my name to change.  I wanted to come up a new person.  Solidly in their purpose and walking steadfast.  I wanted the same.

Even before I entered the water, the Holy Spirit had me in tears.  God's presence was thick and His love was overwhelming.

Excitement shook me as I went down.  I don't remember anything between entering the water and then raising.  It is all void and darkness in my memory.  I didn't experience any emotion or thoughts, I guess it really was like death.

Then once I had risen, God descended.  I remember my Pastor saying to now receive it and a force hit my stomach.  Nothing literally hit me, but my gut felt the pressure of His presence and then forgiveness flooded.

Forgiveness for myself.  For all the mistakes I had made.  For all the fights I had instigated against God.  Forgiveness for my pride and my own unforgiveness.

October 28, 2012 is a day that will make an amazing transformation.

A day that forgiveness was no longer something I had to convince myself of, but something I walked in.  Fourteen years of lacking this revelation lead to so much frustration.

It shouldn't be that easy.  I shouldn't just feel sorrow and repent and then be done.  There should be a spanking or grounding.  There should be lightening and thunder.  There should at least be a scolding tone.

What kind of punishment is love and affection?  How am I to believe that you have forgiven me when you shine your favor rather than your wrath?

In that moment, my intellect was finally silenced as I truly accepted that I am His.  I am continually forgiven.  His mercies are made new every morning!

Finally I understand: I AM FORGIVEN!

No comments:

Post a Comment